Go directly to: Money software download links
If you agree with me that Microsoft Money is still the BEST personal (and small business) financial management software ever, then you’ve come to the right place for improving Money’s OFFLINE capabilities.
- Even though Microsoft has elected to divorce the program from the MSN Money servers as of January 31st, 2011 (which did much more than just grab statement downloads, including independent stock and fund quotes for ALL of your investments, passing through third-party web-scrapes of your data, supporting Online banking, investment news, tax and exchange rates, LiveID password authentication, etc.), they have made available a **FREE** legal copy (the SUNSET edition) of the latest updated OFFLINE version of Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe that you can download, even if you’ve never used Money before! On its own, it will only update via OFX statement files that you download through the websites of your financial institutions.
- Now by installing the latest version of Python 2.7 (not 3) and Bobby’s PocketSense script package that runs on Python, you will be able to essentially mimic many of the online functions that Microsoft is no longer providing.
- Another new program is available that will update all of your investment quotes in a very similar fashion to Money’s original online updater through MSN. It is called MSMoneyQuotes and you’ll find links to it in this blog post.
- For those that only need to update quotes (no Account Statement updates) and don’t wish to install Python scripting, Hung Le had written a Java app a year ago that has been recently updated and the link in the original Blog page has been updated with this new version.
- I have developed Ameridan’s addon package to PocketSense that allows you to run these scripts (and review your Online investment data) from within your Money program.
1. If any Money Plus, 2007, or 2006 users use a Live ID (email address plus password), they should remove that with File-> Password Manager. This can only be done if they can get into the Money file. They should then use a local “Money password”, if they want a password at all. Money 2005 users don’t have this ability, and must continue to log in offline.
2. Do not attempt to reset your Live ID as the program may suggest. Any attempt to do so will not be effective. Only the credentials in effect at the time that you last successfully got in to your Money file will work.
3. Most users of Money should block all Money access from the Internet to prevent it from trying to access servers that no longer exist. This is a speed and convenience issue. See my article “Eliminating the “online updating”delays and errors when opening Money” for details.
(a good portion of the following, is courtesy of Cal Learner)
*** More details are also available at http://moneymvps.org/ ***
US Money Sunset (Works with US and Canadian Files only; others see below)
Self-contained installation files for use (including if the original disk requires activation). No direct online access works with the Sunset versions, which have been revised to be OFFLINE (access to MSN servers has been deactivated).
US Money Plus Deluxe Sunset
Downloadable from http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/5/5/2557D51B-AF4C-4123-8198-563ABA07337B/USMoneyDlxSunset.exe [static link]
or use http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20738
US Money Plus Home and Business Sunset
Downloadable from http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/1/B/C1BA4FFE-E119-4C19-8BD3-442F0E7E98A0/USMoneyBizSunset.exe [static link]
or use http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7564
Notes for North America:
1. US and Canadian Money 2005 and Essentials users — as well as other US and usually Canadian users — can use Money Plus Deluxe Sunset if they have to reinstall at some point.
2. Some US users of older versions of Money (Money 98 through Money 2003) may have to use an additional step, by first installing a verson of US Money 2004 or 2005 to perform a file conversion before installing Money Plus Sunset. Here is a link to a minimally functional version of US Money 2005 (filename webinst.exe) that can be used for conversions: http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/B/7/DB72D4E0-FBD1-4B76-BFA0-1FF20F6AEC8D/M12USWEB.exe
Money 2005 UK – QFE2
Self-contained UK Money 2005 file including all available patches. Replaces all MS Money UK 2005 installation discs. Usually solves “Money cannot locate the file because it’s a read only file or you do not have permission to change it” error message.
Download from http://moneymvps.org/downloads/files/2005/Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe
Money 2005 International English QFE2
Self-contained Money 2005 International English installation file from Microsoft, including all updates (For Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and all other English versions other than for US, Canada, UK).
Download from http://moneymvps.org/downloads/files/2005/Money2005-IntlEngl-QFE2.exe
Money 2005 French – QFE3
Self-contained French Money 2005 file including all available patches. Replaces all MS Money French 2005 installation disks.
Download from http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/3/1/B31D6140-59FE-4D17-AF82-A2E77D0FCFFF/Money2005-FR-QFE3.exe.exe
Notes for all versions…
It is suggested that all Money users keep a good copy of the installation file, even if the need is not immediate. It will be needed if you reinstall Money in the future. Those links can change, so do a search if you don’t find the file you need. Since we don’t know how long these files will be available, it is best to keep a copy of your appropriate installation file in a safe place.
Money data files are in a different format for each region. The correct regional version of Money must be used or the data file will not open.
It is possible to convert from one region to another only by exporting data as loose qif and importing to the new regional version of Money.
Old Money versions will run only under 32-bit Windows
Old versions (Money 2000 and earlier) include 16-bit code so they can only run under 32-bit Windows (XP, Vista, 7 and 8).
To be able to use data files from these older versions on a 64-bit PC with Sunset Money:
- Download m12usweb.exe (Trial edition of Money 2004) to the new computer.
(MD5 is 1c62413858e2184eb39862f1b2afba44)
- Put the latest *.mny and *.mbf files into the Documents folder of the new computer
- Temporarily uninstall Sunset if you had already installed on new computer
- Disconnect from the Internet (may not be needed, but recommended)
- Set the computer date to 2004/1/1 (or there about)
- Install trial Money 2004 by running m12usweb.exe
- Let that convert your *.mny file. Check that it seems to work. Save the converted file. Maybe change the name so that you can distinguish the converted file. Close Money 2004
- Set the date right. Install/reinstall Money Plus Sunset. Let it uninstall Money 2004.
- Install the patch mentioned in red in the next paragraph
- Let Sunset convert the Money 2004 *.mbf file to Sunset
- Make extra copies of Sunset install, patch and data files onto other media
The U.S. Sunset versions of Money, downloadable above, run great in Win32 mode of Windows 8 and 10. It is not a 64-bit program though, so hopefully, Win32 remains supported within Windows for many years yet. However because of a bug in the file mnyob99.dll, there may be issues with with certain OS updates. It is recommended that a patched version of this file be used to resolve these issues and insure compatibility. Read more (and find a link to the patch) here.
Money uses Internet Explorer as the GUI, so do not delete the program from your PC. If Microsoft ever switches over exclusively to Edge, Money may cease to function, which is the primary reason why I have turned off Windows 10 automatic (and manual) updates, although I do intend to periodically catch-up with stable versions that remain Money-friendly.
Money does not play well with multiple monitors, especially if one is disconnected at a later time, as might be the case with a laptop attached to other display(s) at work. If you find Money not behaving properly (ie not appearing after engaging program, customize reports dialogue box disappearing, etc.), open sample.mny while the multiple monitors are hooked up, and insure that Money is closed in full-screen mode – and only on the primary (default) monitor.
Another alternative method that should also work:
|Windows logo key + Tab||Task View, allowing you to select hidden program and make it active.|
|Windows logo key + Shift + Left arrow or Right arrow||Moves the active app on the desktop from one monitor to another.|
Money version downloads
The latest Sunset versions are free for anyone to use, but are no longer supported by Microsoft.
The download links above might become unusable at any time, so remember to keep a secure copy of the downloaded installation file to your current version. Your data will be inaccessible if your Money program ever becomes corrupted (or if you procure a new PC), and you find yourself unable to reinstall the same version of Money that corresponds with your data file.