IMPORTANT!! (Courtesy of Cal Learner)
People using LiveID (Passport) in Microsoft Money should turn that off by logging in offline. You may have to do this to accomplish that:
Disconnect from the Internet. If using Money Plus, change the date on your computer to a date in January, such as 2011 Jan 15. Start Money, and log in offline. Remove your LiveID. Do not attempt to change your LiveID.
To remove the Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your LiveID. To remove or add a conventional password, also see File->PasswordManager.
If you get a warning that you cannot remove the LiveID, turn off Tools->Settings->ReceiveAccountUpdatesFromMsnMoneyMyAccounts if you set that, even if you leave on Live ID to work with Ultrasoft Money.
Other helpful information courtesy of Cal Learner…
US Money Sunset (Works with US and Canadian Files only; others see below)
Self-contained installation files for use (including if the original disk requires activation). No direct online access works with the Sunset versions. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2118008 for an explanation of the Sunset versions
US Money Plus Deluxe Sunset
Downloadable from http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/5/5/2557D51B-AF4C-4123-8198-563ABA07337B/USMoneyDlxSunset.exe [static link]
or use http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20738
US Money Plus Home and Business Sunset
Downloadable from http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/1/B/C1BA4FFE-E119-4C19-8BD3-442F0E7E98A0/USMoneyBizSunset.exe [static link]
or use http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7564
Notes for North America:
1. US and Canadian Money 2005 and Essentials users — as well as other US and usually Canadian users — can use Money Plus Deluxe Sunset if they have to reinstall at some point. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2118008 for information.
2. Some US users of older versions of Money (Money 98 through Money 2003) may have to use an additional step, described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us , of first installing a verson of US Money 2004 or 2005 to perform a file conversion before installing Money Plus Sunset. Here is a link to a minimally functional version of US Money 2005 (filename webinst.exe) that can be used for conversions: http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/B/7/DB72D4E0-FBD1-4B76-BFA0-1FF20F6AEC8D/M12USWEB.exe
Money 2005 UK – QFE2
Self-contained UK Money 2005 file including all available patches. Replaces all MS Money UK 2005 installation discs. Usually solves “Money cannot locate the file because it’s a read only file or you do not have permission to change it” error message.
Download from http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/5/8/858EDC2F-1806-4D2D-85E3-0FBB08CB720A/Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe
Money 2005 International English QFE2
Self-contained Money 2005 International English installation file from Microsoft, including all updates (For Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and all other English versions other than for US, Canada, UK).
Download from http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/7/4/D7406013-4064-49BB-9AA8-7608655EF70C/Money2005-IntlEngl-QFE2.exe.exe
Money 2005 French – QFE3
Self-contained French Money 2005 file including all available patches. Replaces all MS Money French 2005 installation disks.
Download from http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/3/1/B31D6140-59FE-4D17-AF82-A2E77D0FCFFF/Money2005-FR-QFE3.exe.exe
Notes for all versions…
It is suggested that all Money users keep a good copy of the installation file, even if the need is not immediate. It will be needed if you reinstall Money in the future. Those links can change, so do a search if you don’t find the file you need. Since we don’t know how long these files will be available, it is best to keep a copy of your appropriate installation file in a safe place.
Money data files are in a different format for each region. The correct regional version of Money must be used or the data file will not open.
It is possible to convert from one region to another only by exporting data as loose qif and importing to the new regional version of Money. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304254 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/178830 .
Old Money versions will run only under 32-bit Windows
Old versions (Money 2000 and earlier) include 16-bit code so can run only under 32-bit Windows (XP, Vista, 7 and 8).
To be able to use data files from these older versions on a new PC with Sunset:
- Download m12usweb.exe to the new computer.
MD5 is 1c62413858e2184eb39862f1b2afba44See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/913108
- Put the latest *.mny and *.mbf files into the Documents folder of the new computer
- Temporarily uninstall Sunset if you had already installed on new computer
- Disconnect from the Internet (may not be needed, but recommended)
- Set the computer date to 2004/1/1 (or there about)
- Install trial Money 2004 by running m12usweb.exe
- Let that convert your *.mny file. Check that it seems to work. Save the converted file. Maybe change the name so that you can distinguish the converted file. Close Money 2004
- Set the date right. Install/reinstall Money Plus Sunset. Let it uninstall Money 2004. Let Sunset convert the Money 2004 *.mbf file to Sunset
- Make extra copies of Sunset install and data files onto other media
There are continuing changes to the way Windows works. There is no certainty that newer 32-bit Windows will continue to run Money well or at all.
The U.S. Sunset versions of Money, downloadable above, should run under Windows versions up to atleast Windows 8. However because of a bug in the file mnyob99.dll, there may be issues with lower versions including XP in conjunction with certain OS updates. It is recommended that a patched version of this file be used to resolve these issues and insure compatibility. Read more (and find a link to the patch) here.
Money uses Internet Explorer as the GUI, so do not delete the program from your PC.
Money version downloads
The latest versions are free for anyone to use, but are not supported by Microsoft. The download links above might become unusable at any time.
Remember to keep a secure copy of the downloaded installation file for when you need to re-install. Your data will be inaccessible if your Money program becomes corrupted and you cannot reinstall Money or if you procure a new PC and cannot install Money.