Clearing old “online” bank balance(s)
[UPDATED 2/3/2011 with fix for Broker as well]
Once your Microsoft Money program is offline (online services are no longer active), your downloaded bank balances will be updated just as your online updates did, but only if you go into Manage Online Settings and remove the Online Update services. Until that happens, the statement balance only reflects Online Updates, so if you would like to simply clear your statement balance to avoid some confusion, Cal Learner has come up with a cool little trick to clear the balance by creating a dummy statement to be imported and then immediately deleted.
Here is a 5-step way to do that:
- Open a new Notepad file, and paste the following 6 (or 8 for broker file) lines
between the ===delimiter lines=== below into the file.
For a Bank
Save the file as
MUsed to remove the balance
For a Broker
Save the file as
- Change the date on the line that starts with ‘D’ to a date later than the reported last download in the register. Today’s
date should work. The date format depends on your Windows regional settings.
- Save the File->SaveAs “ClearBalance.QIF” OR “ClearBalance_Broker.QIF” in the same folder as your *.mny file.
- Open Money, and File->Import->Downloaded Statement. Select “ClearBalance.QIF” OR “ClearBalance_Broker.QIF” and click Import. Money will ask which account (or to make a new account). Select the account you wish to clear the Downloaded Date from, and click Next, then OK.
- Do not process the statement as you would a regular statement.
Instead go to Account List and right-click where it says
“Transactions to read:1” for the account that you imported into and choose Delete Statement.
You can re-use the “ClearBalance.QIF” OR “ClearBalance_Broker.QIF” files on all the accounts you wish to clear.
P.S. This is Cheryl’s OFX file solution that is described in comment #698 below. Thank you Cheryl!
OFXHEADER:100 DATA:OFXSGML VERSION:102 SECURITY:NONE ENCODING:USASCII CHARSET:1252 COMPRESSION:NONE OLDFILEUID:NONE NEWFILEUID:NONE <OFX> <SIGNONMSGSRSV1> <SONRS> <STATUS> <CODE>0 <SEVERITY>INFO </STATUS> <DTSERVER>20110217192307.758 <LANGUAGE>ENG <DTPROFUP>20050531070000.000 <FI> <ORG>B1 <FID>10898 </FI> <INTU.BID>3000 <INTU.USERID> </SONRS> </SIGNONMSGSRSV1> <BANKMSGSRSV1> <STMTTRNRS> <TRNUID>0 <STATUS> <CODE>0 <SEVERITY>INFO </STATUS> <STMTRS> <CURDEF>USD <BANKACCTFROM> <BANKID>000000000 <ACCTID>enter_your_acct_number <ACCTTYPE>CHECKING </BANKACCTFROM> <BANKTRANLIST> <DTSTART>20110215080000.000 <DTEND>20110216080000.000 <STMTTRN> <TRNTYPE>DEP <DTPOSTED>20110215120000.000 <TRNAMT>0 <FITID>201102151 <NAME>ADJUSTING TXN </STMTTRN> </BANKTRANLIST> <LEDGERBAL> <BALAMT>0 <DTASOF>20110216080000.000[0:GMT] </LEDGERBAL> <AVAILBAL> <BALAMT>0 <DTASOF>20110216080000.000[0:GMT] </AVAILBAL> </STMTRS> </STMTTRNRS> </BANKMSGSRSV1> </OFX>